Sunday, May 17, 2009

Graduation! Woo Hoo!

My Mom trying to adjust my master's hood! It just wouldn't lay right! I didn't get a picture of the dean actually awarding it to me, maybe I will get it in the mail as part of the package- I hope!
If you look closely, you can see me going back to my seat from the podium


with my girls afterwards!


and supportive hubby



and proud parents- I am proud they are my parents!



It was a very hot day to be wearing all black with a velvet and satin thing around the neck, but it was a very nice ceremony. The speaker, the Dean of the School of Education, and the girl who sang, were wonderful. I didn't realize there would be so many graduating from the School of Education, the School of Business and the School of Social Sciences and Religion. Almost half of us were there to recieve a master's too. Afterwards, they served cookies, punch and grapes, and the girls thought that was cool. I also saw a fellow teacher from Castle Rock, there to celebrate with her daughter, who had recieved her bachelor's. I found this to be very crazy, since she was in my reading class the first year I taught, I am pretty sure! Commencement was supposed to be indoors in the event center, but because of all the scare over the swine flu, they moved it outside. It was a great day, and we followed it by eating at Famous Dave's Barbeque, and that was some wonderful food! Yummy barbeque, corn bread, beans, slaw, etc.etc., you get the idea. Woudn't be a Harkey/Stohl celebration without food (yes, Stohls that weren't there, we ate a few bites in your honor, too :) )...
OH, I want to thank everyone that honored me with cards and gifts, for my graduation, and for my softball team gift! The card from Judy and Cammi that said "Master's" was especially cool, and I am glad I could honor them and my parents with my married and maiden names both on the program and read from the podium. I am going to use the certificates/card/check to buy something special to remember them all, and how special they are to me!






3 comments:

Christa said...

YAY! Congrats Kim! That must be a huge weight off your shoulders. Hooray for graduation.

Judy Stohl said...

We are so proud of you - congratulations!!

Cammi said...

SO EXCITING! CONGRATULATIONS! So much work and dedication. Thanks for being an example to all of us to keep working toward higher education - and to always be learning. Becca and Mallory have a new standard set for them - Masters Degrees! YEAH! I hope Carter and Reilly will follow your example, too!