Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cammi's Transplant!

Well, for those of you who don't know- Cammi Stohl Brady, Kris' sister, my sister in-law, and wonderful aunt to my girls had a life-changing day yesterday! For those who don't know, she has a form of cystic fibrosis that attacked her lungs, diminished her health greatly, caused her to lose way too much weight and concerned us all. She has been in Pittsburgh for almost a whole year waiting for a transplant, and yesterday morning when Kris and I woke up, we got a text that said they had a donor match and she was going in for surgery!
Cammi is that type of sister, or aunt who is always thinking of you- she sends little things in the mail, little cards or gifts that brighten your day and make you think, "I need to do this type of thing for people more often." She is so very thoughtful all the time of others, and sends lots of encouragement when you are going through a rough patch, starting a new job, etc., when clearly her mental and physical trials are much greater than pretty much anyone else's. Classic Cammi gifts have been: flowers and a "break a leg" card before opera performances, gift cards to our favorite stores and eateries, and care packages for the girls that always seem to be the perfect thing for them at the time! There have been a few events over the last year where she and my mother in-law have been sorely missed, like Mallory's baptism, which only come around once in a person's lifetime. Yet there is no way I can hold that against them! Cammi (and of course she gets this from her mother Judy) is one of the most thoughtful, loving people in the world! All of the "cousins" (meaning Dennis and Judy's grandchildren) adore her. I am beginning to cry like a baby right now just thinking that Becca and Mallory have never known a truly healthy Aunt Cammi. Last night, I told the girls that their aunt has been sick for longer than they have been around, and that daddy and I know I different aunt Cammi than they know, Becca gave me a very surprised look. Then she said, "you mean she has been sick for more than 9 years, Mom?" That is when it hit me and I told her, "Yes, now you will get to see the Aunt Cammi that Daddy and I know." Now I am crying because more than my kids, this will be about Cammi's precious kids knowing a mommy that they haven't ever known before. And she has done an INSPIRING job of raising them, despite her trials! Sure she has had the INSPIRING help of a SAINT of a mom and grandma, but still, they BOTH inspire me to always try harder at my parenting, even with my sometimes insane schedules and body that tires of the schedules! I have always felt blessed to be the daughter of John and Carol Harkey. They gave me a wonderful childhood and are two of the most wonderful parents, grandparents and closest friends a grown child can ask for. I am thankful for such a great sister who is tough, determined, and a wonderful loving sister to me and auntie to her nieces. I think of her as a best friend almost more than a sister sometimes. And one of my favorite types of days are the ones I can spend shopping and eating out with Amber. But when I think of Cammi- the question remains, what did I do in the pre-mortal life to earn the blessing of marrying my husband and being a Stohl??? All I can say is I must have done something right! Cammi, we love you so much and can't wait to see you again! Until then, we will be praying for you and hopefully enjoying phone calls/skypes with you soon!

1 comment:

Cammi said...

I am FINALLY catching up on blogs and I just now saw this post. I want to cry. You are so thoughtful and way too generous with your comments. Everyone has suffered from my being sick (because my parents have been so needed by me) and I'm just so thankful and blessed to have siblings and in-laws who understand and just support me with their whole hearts. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I LOVE YOU! I am SO looking forward to spending time together again soon!